Friday, April 30, 2010

California 14ers

So I guess it is official. I'm aiming to ski all of California's 14,000' peaks this spring. Here's the list:
  1. Mt Langley
  2. Mt Muir
  3. Mt Whitney
  4. Mt Russel
  5. Mt Williamson
  6. Mt Tyndal
  7. Split Mountain
  8. Middle Pallisade
  9. Mt Sill
  10. Polemonium Peak
  11. North Pallisade
  12. Thunderbolt Mountain
  13. White Mountain
  14. Mt. Shasta
Ironically, I've always tried to stay away from 'lists' when it comes to skiing in California's High Sierra. Conditions vary so greatly week to week and month to month, I've found it best to pick mountains to ski based on current weather and snow conditions. The idea of cranking out a list of peaks can mean skiing in less than favorable conditions, thus taking away from the experience. Well, conditions have been so good this Spring, I figure it is perhaps possible to get them all in reasonably good shape. More to come.....

July 2, 2010 - Skied #14 today, Mt. Shasta.

April 11, 2011  Note: As time allows, I look forward to publishing accounts from each of the CA 14ers listed above. Be sure to read about our recent adventure on Split.